Thursday 15 March 2012

Lessons Learned Along the Way

Tell Me A Story

Today's blog is a guest post by Charlotte Rains Dixon copied with kind permission from her blog
Lessons Learned Along the Way
So by now everyone in the North American hemisphere knows that I've gotten an offer to have my novel published. (If they haven't, I'll do my best to make sure they do over the next couple of days.) In this issue, I'm writing about lessons learned along the way. Because, there have been many of them, starting with....



Determination. First of all, let me explain. I finished this book two years ago, maybe longer. And I've been marketing it off and on since then, mostly to agents. As a matter of fact, the publishing house that accepted me is the first publisher I sent it to. But I've lost count of how many agents I've sent it to, probably at least fifty. Yes, fifty. I love this novel and I've been determined to have it see the light of day. So there you go, first on my list is determination. Never underestimate its power.

Clarity . Last fall, I parted ways with a coaching program I had contracted with. It wasn't working for me, and I had some chronic pain issues that made it difficult to keep up with the program. This led to deep soul searching on my part. Why hadn't the program worked for me when it was so very successful for others? Which led me to the answer: because I was trying to be something I wasn't. So that made me think long and hard about what I was and what I wanted to be. What did I love doing, above all else? The answer was writing books and blogging. From that moment on, I redoubled my efforts in both areas. The results have been gratifying, with more traffic to this blog, and now, my novel about to be published. Let me just tell you, clarity rocks. Rocks, baby.


Writer, mentor, and coach Charlotte Rains Dixon is passionate about helping writers, coaches, entrepreneurs, and creative professionals succeed, achieve, and profit in their careers and lives through writing. Visit her for more tips and techniques on writing—and living—at www.charlotterainsdixon.com.
.
----------------------------------------------------------

No comments: